The production facilities at Riverina allow us to produce horse feeds in a range of forms to suit most horses. We have a specialist horse plant for the manufacture of high molasses loose mixes, steam flaking technology as well as pellets. At Riverina Stock Feeds, we strive to support local riders in their competitions by providing more than just quality stock feed ~ Learn More
RIVERINA HI-CAL HORSE & PONY PELLETS are a supplementary feed for horses and ponies grazing high oxalate pastures where “Big Head” occurs. It can also be used to balance diets that are low in calcium.
Horses draw calcium from their bones and in severe cases the bone in the head is replaced with connective tissue which causes the head to swell……Big Head.
In a balanced diet, the calcium level is always higher than the phosphorus level. Many tropical pastures contain compounds called oxalates. When horses and ponies graze these pastures, the oxalates can tie up much of the calcium in the feed, so it is not available to be used by the horse. To compensate the horse then draws calcium from its bones.
Setaria is the worst pasture followed by Buffel then Pangola, Panic, Kikuyu, Guinea grass, Para grass, Signal grass and Purple Pigeon grass. Tropical pastures with >0.5% oxalates are a problem. Some Setaria pastures can have up to 5% oxalates! Young new growth and fertilizing increase the levels of oxalates.
Symptoms can occur from two to nine months. The most at risk are growing, pregnant, lactating and exercising horses, which have higher calcium requirements. Once symptoms are showing the horse has lost large amounts of calcium from their bones and a veterinarian should be consulted.
- Barley, wheat, bran and pollard, soybean meal, canola meal, cottonseed meal, molasses, vegetable oil, limestone, dicalcium phosphate, salt, choline chloride, mould inhibitor, Riverina equine vitamin & mineral premix.
- Base raw materials may gradually change seasonally.
DIRECTIONS FOR USE
- THIS IS NOT A COMPLETE FEED.
- RIVERINA HI-CAL HORSE & PONY PELLETS must be fed in conjunction with tropical pasture.
- The suggested feeding rates are for pastures with moderate oxalate levels.
- If more than 2kg / day is being fed, split between 2 feeds.
- RIVERINA HI-CAL HORSE & PONY PELLETS provide a full range of essential nutrients when fed with tropical pasture.
- Contains high calcium levels to help overcome the calcium tied up by oxalates.
- Has additional magnesium and salt to improve calcium absorption.
- Manufactured to strict quality control standards for incoming raw materials and the finished product.
- Formulated in accordance with current research into horse nutrition.