The production facilities at Riverina allow us to produce horse feeds in a range of forms to suit most horses. We have a specialist horse plant for the manufacture of high molasses loose mixes, steam flaking technology as well as pellets.
RIVERINA PASTUREPRO® HORSE is a protein, vitamin and mineral supplement for horses grazing high oxalate pastures where ‘Big Head’ occurs and can also be used as a general supplement for horses on pasture.
Horses draw calcium from their bones and in severe cases the bone in the head is replaced with connective tissue which causes the head to swell causing ‘Big Head’.
In a balanced diet, the calcium level is always higher than the phosphorus level. Many tropical pastures contain compounds called oxalates. When horses and ponies graze these pastures, the oxalates can tie up much of the calcium in the feed, so it is not available to be used by the horse. To compensate the horse then draws calcium from its bones.
Setaria is the worst pasture followed by Buffel then Pangola, Panic, Kikuyu, Guinea grass, Para grass, Signal grass and Purple Pigeon grass. Tropical pastures with more than 0.5% oxalates are a problem. Some Setaria pastures can have up to 5% oxalates. Young new growth and fertilizing increase the levels of oxalates.
Symptoms can occur from two to nine months. The most at risk are growing, pregnant, lactating and exercising horses, which have higher calcium requirements. Once symptoms are showing the horse has already lost large amounts of calcium from their bones, a veterinarian should be consulted.
- Cottonseed meal, vegetable oil, dicalcium phosphate, magnesium oxide, limestone, salt and Riverina horse vitamin & mineral premix.
- Base raw materials may gradually change seasonally.
DIRECTIONS FOR USE
- THIS IS NOT A COMPLETE FEED. It is designed as a supplement to be fed to horses on pasture.
- Pasture should be in abundant supply and horses should have access to a reliable supply of clean water.
- Initially feed only salt until intakes reduce less than 100g / head / day
- Then provide PASTUREPRO® HORSE. The product should be available ad lib in open ended troughs protected from the weather.
- Do not allow troughs to be emptied.
- EXPECTED FEED INTAKES:
- FOR A 500KG HORSE: 200g – 300g / head / day
- These are typical intakes; pasture quality, animal mineral status and condition will influence the level of intake.
- If intakes exceed those above contact your local Riverina representative for advice.
- DISCONTINUE FEEDING IF INTAKES EXCEED 400g / head / day.
|As Fed||Dry Matter|
- Contains high calcium levels to help overcome the calcium tied up by oxalates.
- Has additional magnesium and salt to improve calcium absorption.
- Manufactured to strict quality control standards for incoming raw materials and the finished product.
- Formulated in accordance with current research into horse nutrition.